Meetings & Events
GMF is co-organising together with AMAC an online seminar on “closure and decommissioning of nuclear power plants: socio-economic impacts” to be held on 26 February 2021 with the aim to exchange experience regarding the socio-economic impacts involved in the decision of closing and decommissioning a nuclear power plant. The event is free but registration is mandatory. There will be interpretation English – French – Spanish thanks to the support from the European Commission DG Energy. The event will be recorded and available through this website and presentations will be uploaded after the seminar.
There will be speeches and presentations from:
AMAC President Mr. Juan Pedro Sánchez
GMF President Ms. Pia Almström
Public knowledge, perceptions and views about decommissioning: the case of Belgium, Dr. Tanja Perko, SCK CEN, Belgium
Session on Spain
Impact on employment and economic investment related to dismantling – Mr. Manuel Rodríguez Silva, Director of Operations, Enresa
Agreements with nuclear areas for a just energy transition – Ms. Laura Martín, Just Transition Institute Director (Directora del Instituto para la Transición Justa)
Regional and local impacts of nuclear power plants closure and dismantling, Mr. Alfons Garcia, mayor of Vandellòs-l’Hospitalet de l’Infant and AMAC vice-president
Session on France
Impacts of the closure of Fessenheim, Mr. Claude Brender, mayor of Fessenheim, president of ARCICEN (association of municipalities with nuclear facilities)
Session on the United Kingdom
Decommissioning and Site Remediation in the UK: The NDA’s Local Social and Economic Impact Strategy, Mr. Neil Smith, Business Development Manager for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
Nuclear Prospectus, Geological Disposal Facility Siting process and plans for Sellafield, Mr. Rob Ward, Nuclear Sector Lead for Copeland Borough Council
Session on Bulgaria
Economic impacts of the closure and decommissioning of the four reactors in the area of Kozloduy nuclear power plant, Ms. Marinela Nikolova, mayor of Kozloduy municipality
GMF holds two annual meetings: one in spring or summer focused on radioactive waste and the annual GMF General Assembly with a seminar usually in October or November.
Previous seminars have addressed topics such as radioactive waste management, nuclear emergencies and preparedness, socio-economic development after the phase out of nuclear, participation and communication related to nuclear activities.
GMF has collaborated with EC institutions and other organisations to co-organise seminars and events on nuclear matters. In 2019, GMF collaborated with Les Entretiens Européens and FinNuclear to co-organise the conference “New nuclear: a response to the electrical changes in our society in Europe?” held in Helsinki on 12-13 November 2019.
The 2020 GMF seminar and General Assembly were held virtually on 6 October 2020. The programme and presentations of the GMF seminar are available below.
- GMF 2020 seminar on nuclear highlights programme
- Decommissioning and radioactive waste: role of the European Commission and status in EU Member States, by Mr. Jean-Philippe Guisset, Head of Sector – Nuclear Decommissioning, European Commission, DG Energy
- Belgium, Mr. Kris van Dijck, Mayor of Dessel
- Finland, Mr. Vesa Lakaniemi, Mayor of Eurajoki
- Hungary, Mr. Csaba Dohoczki, head of communication at PIP regional developmenet company for Paks2 NPP
- Netherlands, Mr. Gerben Dijksterhuis, mayor of Borsele
- Russia, Mr. Nikolai Netyaga, chairman of the ANPPT Fund
- Slovenia, Mr. Miran Stanko, Mayor of Krsko
- Spain, Mr. Mariano Vila d’Abadal, AMAC
- Sweden, Mrs. Pia Almström, KSO, Association of Swedish Municipalities with Nuclear Facilities (presentation)
- Sweden, speech by Mrs. Pia Almström
- United Kingdom, Mr. Philip Matthews, Executive Director NuLeAF